Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Adoption Here We Come - Finally

I have now been in Seattle for almost three weeks, living under circumstances of incredible stress. There was the stress of finalizing the adoption, stress to make sure Benecia is well, stress of being at the hospital all day, but all of that was manageable when compared to the stress my job was causing.  I was still working while Beny was hospitalized, I would wake around 4:00 am, get ready and work from 5:00 am to 11:00 am at the hotel, race to the hospital and be with Benecia until 9:00 to 10:00 at night. I worked some more while she was sleeping, my sister the consummate nurse warned me that NICU nurses are very particular and don’t think that parents should do anything other than focus on their child. She further warned that the first time they walk in to Beny’s room wanting to talk to me and I indicate that I can’t talk because I am on a conference call, she said ‘its going to get ugly’. I figured if the worse thing I did was piss off a few nurses, then I am still good. My sis recommends too feed the nurses, they always respond to food! Actually, I did discuss my work situation with all of the care-takers, they were great, they understood and watched for when I was on a conference call when entering the room.  I am running on exhaustion, adrenaline fumes are the only thing keeping me going in addition to caring for the little one.  My first error regarding the baby while under stress is that I spell her name wrong on the Birth Certificate, we had agreed that she would be named “Benicia”, I submitted it as “Benecia”, oh well maybe the extra ‘e’ will bring her good luck.

Here is the first concern, I have a new boss, someone I don’t know, someone who never has time to talk, someone that doesn’t make time to meet any of his direct reports until 90 days into the job.  Lets call him Mr. Self-Serving.  The irony of the situation is that three months prior to Beny’s birth, two different people who had worked with him for over five and ten years shared his personality traits as they knew them with me without any of us knowing that in the near future I would be reporting to him. As they recounted their experiences and observations it came down to ‘he will always look for someone to blame to make himself look better, he will sacrifice a member of his team to solidify his position and illustrate that he takes action, if you agree with him and do what he wants without any opposition then he considers you part of his team, in a nutshell his loyalty does not extend past his own personal objectives’. Obviously, I am in a great situation. Further illustrated by our first conversation lasting a total of five minutes, at which he made me sound like I walked on water, the savior of the company, a workforce not to be lived without. That conversation raised tremendous red-flags to me, how can anyone give seemingly endless flattery to someone they do not know nor have seen operate. I know I am in a bad situation. I think my work will speak for itself, as long as I perform I should be okay as we work through the professional-relationship bonding experience. I was wrong! So now I am operating under the tremendous stress of work.

The second concern revolves around FBI finger-prints. Everyone over the age of fourteen that will be spending a significant amount of time with the child requires an FBI background check, as the Mexican Ewing’s this includes my parents. Beny is doing well, getting ready for discharge, the problem is without FBI approval the state of Washington will not allow us to return to Texas with the baby until my parents have been cleared. Panic sets in, I am exhausted, worried about my job, about parents finger prints and my nerves have literally been torn away from my body, exposed to the elements and scraped back with a blunt instrument, I am so not in a good place. I am trying to be at peace for Benecia’s sake, I don’t want her picking-up on my stress, though I know that she does. We have my parents fingerprints taken over six times by different governmental agencies, who knew that fingerprints wear out when a person ages. I am pretty much ranting to anyone that will listen, including Husband and parents. Though I do manage to be calm during work hours and through conversations with governmental agencies. Which is critical, cause now I have to convince the FBI to run their background checks without valid prints. In a hotel room I sit and wait with baby and Husband until cleared to go home, after a few days of walking an emotional tightrope we are finally released to take our daughter home.

We are so excited, we are finally taking her home. I dress her in a cute outfit, with matching blanket and cap. When we get to the airport awaiting to board, my cute dainty baby has a blowout, her first, dirtying her entire outfit. Because I am a planner, I am prepared, I have two additional cute outfits for her to wear on her first plane ride.

This entire adoption process holds vast lessons for me to learn, God has to hit me over the head with greater force each time he wants me to learn something. I pray that I can teach my daughter to not only have faith (of which I have endless amounts) but to also trust in that faith, the right path will always open up when it is God’s time. Though God and I are still in negotiation regarding his time and my time, I am still young, I have lots of time to learn.

Benecia is a delight, she is our blessing, she has brought joy and greater love to our home and family. I can’t imagine my life without her. Her every smile is a reward in my day, in our day. She is my daughter. (I still think its funny that I have a daughter.)


No comments:

Post a Comment